[WikiEN-l] Re: Spambots

Joseph Osborne josephosborne2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 10 02:08:41 UTC 2005

Is that why some one put Pope Andrew XXIII and Pope Peter II on the list of Popes? Their has never been a Pope Andrew are Peter at least they could have used reail names?

Tim Starling <t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:Tim Starling wrote:
> David 'DJ' Hedley wrote:
>
>>Tonight there have been two incidents i've noticed where mass-spambots have
>>been set on to the English Wikipedia. These spambots have been blanking
>>articles probably at a rate of 100 articles a minute, and as that is the
>>time it is normally taking an admin to notice and block the bots are causing
>>a lot of disruption.
>>
>>I don't know where these bots have come from, but they seem capable of
>>quickly deleting content. The contributions for [[User:Whoever blocks me has
>>no life!]] shows what I mean.
>

> That's a vandalbot, not a spambot. They come from sad, morally vacuous
> people who are jealous of what we have achieved and want the whole world
> to be as empty as their own life. As opposed to a spambot which is
> written by people who want to make a bit of money, and who rationalise
> away the ethical problems with their chosen method.

OK I take that back. I count 30 edits per minute not 100, which is
pretty typical for a page blanking spree with just a browser. So that
means the vandal is probably more bored and mischievious than depraved.

-- Tim Starling