[WikiEN-l] Re: Final April Fools wrap up

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 3 04:47:54 UTC 2005

Erik Moeller wrote:

> As such, I propose two simple rules for next year:
>
> 1) There will be one well-coordinated joke for the *outside* world,
> Whether it's a featured article, a press release, or anything else can
> be decided by the cabal on the to-be-created fools-l at wikimedia.org
> mailing list ;-).

With the understanding that one joke may well consist of putting
multiple joke pieces together, just as the Main Page is put together out
of several different pieces. I don't think the one-joke rule should be
used to limit the creativity of those who want to have fun, just channel
it. In this year's scenario, we could have said that all contributions
to the joke effort have to relate to toilet paper; the Monty Python
stuff is off-topic and not allowed.

> 2) Jokes *within* the community are limited to the Wikipedia:, User:
> and *Talk: namespaces. MediaWiki:, Template:, Image: and articles are
> off limits. Jokes should not be overly disruptive.

I think these are reasonable guidelines. However, it should be clarified
that *Talk: only refers to Wikipedia talk: and User talk: areas, and not
the *Talk: namespaces for those that are otherwise off-limits. If
article editing is to be open for business with no silliness, the
attendant discussion must be the same.

--Michael Snow