[WikiEN-l] Re: Classified information in Wikipedia

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 18:34:38 UTC 2005

--- "Blair P. Houghton" <blair at houghton.net> wrote:
> Information is classified because divulging it will place people in
> harm's way.  In some cases, it will place millions of people in harm's
> way.  There are politicized exceptions to this, but for the huge
> majority of classified items keeping the information secret will save
> lives, as will hindering its dissemination if it is somehow leaked.

Nah, my suspicion is that 99% of classified information would not directly
place people in harm's way if released to the public. What it might do is cause
the country concerned varying degrees of disadvantage and embarassment
(economically, politically, diplomatically etc).

-- Matt
[[User:Matt Crypto]]