[WikiEN-l] Classified information in Wikipedia

Richard Holton richholton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 14:05:52 UTC 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 7:26 AM, Matt R <matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> --- Fred Bauder <fredbaud at ctelco.net> wrote (snipped):
> > ...I think classified weapons information should not be
> > published by any responsible person. The reason for this is the harm which
> > can result...
> >
> > For example, while I see no problem with extensive material regarding
> > Israel's successful effort to develop nuclear weapons, I would oppose
> > publishing the precise details regarding a specific weapon. While we are far
> > from the jurisdiction of Israel, some things are just wrong and dumb.
>
> My view is that what people do with the information we provide in Wikipedia is
> not our moral responsibility. If there are no legal problems, I would support
> the inclusion of any verifiable, on-topic and noteworthy information.
>
> --Matt
> [[User:Matt Crypto]]
>
> > > From: Robert Merkel <robert.merkel at benambra.org>
> > > Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 18:02:19 +1000
> > > To: wikien-l at wikipedia.org
> > > Subject: [WikiEN-l] Classified information in Wikipedia
> > >
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > Here's a hypothetical for you.  Say somebody posts a piece of
> > > information about, say, an American-designed weapon, to the Wikipedia.
> > > A piece of information that the US government would prefer to be kept
> > > secret and thus is classified.  Now, the person that originally leaked
> > > the information could certainly be punished under US law, but is the
> > > Wikipedia under any *legal* obligation to delete the information,
> > > assuming it's relevant?
> > >
> > > --

And how would you respond to someone publishing on Wikipedia the name
of you 12 year old daughter, what she looks like, where she goes to
school and when she leaves, and where you work and when you get home
from, and the names of several of your trusted neighbors?

I am all for free information. But the concept of free information
does not absolve us from all responsibility or consideration for other
people or the harm that we might cause (or enable) by our actions.

-- Rich Holton

en.wikipedia:User:Rholton