[WikiEN-l] Re: Biased "current events" stories

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 18 07:39:05 UTC 2004

Dan Drake wrote:

>[Bets being accepted on whether responses will point out that the stupid
>American is unwittingly showing his own bias in that last sentence.]

We all show our biases periodically, and in fact most of the complaints
both here and elsewhere that Wikipedia slants toward a certain POV in
fact reveal more about the POV of the writer than some overriding POV in
Wikipedia itself. Some individual articles do have serious POV problems
depending on what the last author did with them. But Wikipedia as a
whole is, if I may borrow Cimon Avaro's pogo stick, occasionally bumpy
but not actually slanted in any particular direction.

--Michael Snow