[WikiEN-l] A future for Nupedia? Academic degrees have real usefulness

Robert rkscience100 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 23:31:37 UTC 2004

A stable version of Wikipedia has a questionable future if
it does not rely on people with academic degrees as a very
imporant part of our editorial review process. Anything
less will result it in being considered one step above "fan
fiction" by high-school, college and university professors.

There is an evident distrust towards academic degrees here,
and it doesn't help us. It seems to stem from a
misunderstanding of egalitarianism that many Wikipedia
contributors have. Some people seem to think that
egalitarianism means that all people are equally competant
to review an article. This is just as true as saying that
all people are equally tall, and that all food in a
supermarket is equally nutritious.  In other words, the
proposition is violently false.

I'd honestly be willing to bet my life that a dozen Ph.D.s
in Physics will produce better editorial oversight and
corrections than a dozen self-selected Internet junkies,
when it comes to reviewing Physics articles.  I'd honestly
be willing to bet my life that a dozen Ph.D.s in American
Literature will produce better editorial oversight and
corrections than a dozen self-selected Internet junkies,
when it comes to reviewing American literature articles.

Accepting the fact that some people have studied a lot and
have earned an academic degree does not prevent anyone else
from contributing. It does not prevent anyone else from
offering corrections or edits.  It isn't even
anti-egalitarian.  True egalitarianism only means that all
people have a right to study a subject, and to try and
become experts in said subject.  It does *not* mean that
all people are already experts on said subject!

Robert (RK)

=====
I’m astounded by people who want to "know" the universe when it’s hard enough to find your way around Chinatown. - Woody Allen