[WikiEN-l] Re: Learn PHP

Gerrit gerrit at nl.linux.org
Fri Nov 19 09:12:36 UTC 2004

Sheldon Rampton wrote:
> With just a few lines of code you can create an interactive
> form that queries a database and returns a result. To do the same
> thing in Perl, you'd typically need one static HTML page and a
> separate page for the CGI script that processes the form data and
> returns the result. It can be done, but it's more work. Once I
> discovered PHP, I stopped using Perl and haven't looked back.

I can imagine there are situations this is a reason to use PHP.
I don't see how MediaWiki is one, though. Isn't MediaWiki trying to be a
solid, well-designed, large and scalable application? It takes time to
write such a thing. Probably more in PHP than in languages designed for
(among other things) such tasks. A well-designed application seperates
interface and implementation, which requires a good templating system. I
believe Ruby on Rails is such a thing (www.rubyonrails.org), but being a
Pythonista, I'm not sure. Development speed is a good thing. At the cost
of scalability, however, it is not.

regards,
Gerrit Holl.

--
Weather in Lulea / Kallax, Sweden 19/11 09:20:
	-12.0°C   wind 1.3 m/s SW (34 m above NAP)
    -Dwight David Eisenhower, January 17, 1961