[WikiEN-l] Reithy is a problem

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Nov 5 19:18:24 UTC 2004

Rhobite wrote:
> The image is a low-res album cover, clearly fair use, but he said "I
> will send an email to the record company, if you like to ask whether
> they agree with you." I take this as a legal threat.

I don't think of it as a legal threat, but it is a fairly silly
remark.  For fair use, the whole point is that it doesn't matter if
the record company agrees or not: their copyright rights do not extend
so far as to prevent this kind of reuse.

As to the rest, I haven't looked into it, so I offer no opinion, but
if your report is correct, then I agree with you completely.

We've got a longstanding disease of putting up with more nonsense than
we should.

--Jimbo