[WikiEN-l] Edit war policy meaningless

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sat Mar 13 14:58:06 UTC 2004

So, are we going to do something about edit wars or not? What exactly is
page protection going to accomplish if an individual like Wik will engage
in an edit war on virtually every page they are involved in? Or per-
article bans? Are we going to ban Wik from dozens of articles? Run after
him wherever he goes?

I note on the arbitration for Wik that the consensus among the committee
is leaning towards not handling the case of Wik directly because a 24 hour
ban policy is *under discussion*.  Well, that policy has been sabotaged
for nonsensical reasons which could easily have been addressed by flexible
language in the policy itself.

If people like Wik can engage in edit wars without serious consequences,
and I on the other hand am attacked for doing what I can to intervene (as
in the case of [[McFly]], where I protected the page which Wik had blanked
repeatedly and - gasp - edited it afterwards), then it is clear that the
Wikipedia community as a whole *wants* edit wars to happen.

Well, if you want edit wars to happen, you sure as hell are going to get
edit wars. And don't expect me to hold back if someone like Wik gets into
a conflict with me.

If I sound angry, that's because I am. The bullies are being protected
with fallacious arguments of free speech and "WikiLove". We need
enforcement here. And I'm very disappointed in Jimbo for not doing
something about this issue and endlessly delaying any meaningful decision.
The solution is trivial. Warn and then temporarily ban people who violate
the *spirt and the letter* of the rule. There are *no* negative side-
effects of such a policy.

Erik