[WikiEN-l] Re: Violation of blocking policy by user "40277"

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Thu Jun 24 22:56:56 UTC 2004

Stormie wrote:

> Serious question: what would you have done? This anon user was clearly
> displaying his intent to continually revert an article, without ever
> discussing it, and ignore all attempts to converse with him on the
> issue.

It is not clear that he knowingly ignored all attempts to converse with
him (or, for that matter, all other anons, since so many of them never
see the messages on their User talk pages). The only attempts *others*
made to converse with him was via his User talk page, and the messages I
saw there were pretty disrespectful and unwelcoming (they're all like
"Stop it, you idiot").

What nobody has tried, although I would have thought it was obvious, was
to ask him *in edit summaries* (he obviously looked at those) to discuss
things on the article's talk page.

If you actually read James' edit summaries, you will see that he became
frustrated because people were not explaining their edits in their edit
summaries (they were just like "reverting" etc.). How could he possibly
be more explicit without also being disrespectful? Clearly, we weren't
being very welcoming to him at all.

Everyone involved seems to have thought of him as a bad-faith vandal. Is
it so hard to see that he was acting in perfectly good faith?

Sigh.
Timwi