[WikiEN-l] Restructuring, renaming, creating and removing Wikiprojects

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 21 07:45:45 UTC 2004

Simonides of Ceos wrote

>I believe Wikiprojects are a good way of dealing with or smoothing out
categories, and providing context where it may not exist or may not be
substantial. A sizeable number of people with similar interests, working
together on a large Wikiproject, would easily be able to agree on, create
and link necessary categories to each other; errors are also less likely.
Criticism is welcome. Please also join in the effort to write up, modify and
expand some of the Wikiprojects I have created.
Thanks!

Does it work that way?  My experience is that WikiProjects typically have a
stated aim of 'standardising' how articles are written; which sounds good to
some people but is never enforceable and can be too prescriptive.
Categories can be added by individuals acting alone.  Where there are
already lists of articles by topics, adding categories is relatively
straightforward.  The creation of such lists really ought to devolve to
relevant WikiProjects; but that doesn't see to be how it pans out in
practice.

Charles