[WikiEN-l] Arbitration progress report #2

Rick giantsrick13 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 23:53:11 UTC 2004

If a person drives other, equally (or more so) valuable users because of continued abuse, isn't that detrimental to the project?

RickK

Delirium <delirium at rufus.d2g.com> wrote:
Sascha Noyes wrote:

>So what you're saying is that you don't want to enforce [[Wikipedia:No
>personal attacks]]. So who will enforce this rule? As I have stated before,
>we should either enforce our rules or stop paying lipservice to them and
>scrap them.

Well, I see a lot of our policies more as "you ought to do this" and
"you ought not do this", rather than as "if you do (don't) do this you
will be banned", which is a somewhat more strenuous pronouncement. Of
course if we have no consequences the rules are meaningless, but I don't
think we should be banning people simply for violating "the letter of
the law", so to speak. Really we should only ban people who we've
determined are highly detrimental to Wikipedia, combined with a
determination that they're unlikely to change their behavior in the near
future. In my opinion, anyway.

-Mark