[WikiEN-l] Re: Going Off in a Huff

Mirko Thiessen mt at mirko-thiessen.de
Sun Jan 11 18:27:28 UTC 2004

Fred Bauder wrote:
> People make mistakes, usually on both sides of any disputed issue. Usually,
> over time upon taking thought these mistakes can be corrected. A major
> project like Wikipedia with a bright future deserves handling with some
> perspective. One bad editor, RK, and one misjudgment, Jimbo's, do not
> somehow make an entire project worthless.
> Regarding Jimbo: I think it is important that you create an account under
> some persona, edit some articles, get into an edit war or two, and in
> general get grounded in the realities of this project.

About edit wars and especially RK: It is difficult to imagine what it
is like to deal with RK and his ilk if you are not involved. One year
ago we had one of many discussions about banning RK. I argued against
banning him, probably because at that point of time I did not make my
own experience of being constantly insulted, accused and reverted. Now
I did not have trouble with RK, since he apparently edits other topics
than me, but there are others like him who prefer reverting and
discrediting the opponent rather than discussing. So I think I know
what it was like for Danny, and he has my respect for nonetheless
bearing with RK. I also understand his reaction of leaving Wikipedia.
RK has now a feeling of having something like an official backing for
his annoying behaviour, just have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Special:Contributions&target=RK.
Therefore it will now be even more difficult to bring neutrality into
the topics which are frequented by RK. We need more editors like
Danny, not less. I hope that someone around here knows him good enough
to persuade him to return.

Mirko (Baldhur)