[WikiEN-l] Re: recipes

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 26 16:19:03 UTC 2004

Ray Saintonge wrote

<snip>

> The war is between two competing visions of Wikipedia.  One side, the
> "deletionists", believes in deleting material which they consider to be
> diminishing the reputation and authoritative quality of Wikipedia.  The
> other side, the "inclusionists", believes that the purposes of Wikipedia
> are better served by having articles in an ever expanding sphere of
> knowledge defined in the broadest terms, even if it is in subjects that
> others may find trivial.  I am clearly in the latter camp.

I was fairly neutral about this - believing that the trivia/ephemera/popular
culture stuff is pretty harmless in its place.  Until a recent VfD
experience, that was, with a mathematical article where the 'keeps' really
couldn't know why the content was objectionable, and precisely 'diminishing'
to WP.  So there is more to it, and I have a beef with the 'radical'
inclusionist stand (not with the Power Rangers completists).

Charles