[WikiEN-l] Re: HOWTOs/Recipes/Instructions and other imperativecontent

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Tue Feb 24 20:12:48 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>I'm not a dogmatist on this point (recipes), I'm just throwing out for
>consideration -- what exactly makes this non-encyclopedic, other than
>the constraints of paper on traditional encyclopedias?

Well, except in the case of a very few dishes which have an "official"
way of doing them, there is generally no one recipe for any given dish.
Guacamole, for example, has as many recipes as there are people who make
guacamole: the recipe is essentially "put anything you want into mashed
avocado".  Sure, cookbooks often give a particular recipe for many
popular dishes, but I don't see us as a cookbook.  We can instead
describe what a dish is, and if someone wants a particular cook's
opinion on exactly how many tablespoons of this and that to include,
they can buy a cookbook from that cook.

Again, I'd refer people to [[turkey (food)]], which I hope does a good
job with the balance.  It even mentions 30-45 minutes as common cooking
time for deep-fried turkey, without giving instructions such as "fry for
38 minutes at 450 F", which would not really be supportable.

Plus I just don't like the tone.  I'd rather we be descriptive.  [[Virus
cleaning]] that describes what virus cleaning is and how it's usually
done, instead of [[How to clean your computer of viruses]] that gives
instructions.

-Mark