[WikiEN-l] HOWTOs/Recipes/Instructions and other imperative content

David Friedland david at nohat.net
Mon Feb 23 23:14:46 UTC 2004

The following seems to be the general idea that people have about how-to
type content on Wikipedia. i.e. that it belongs on wikibooks, not
wikipedia. I couldn't find anywhere where this was written out as
policy, so this is my proposed addition to [[What Wikipedia is not]]:

  Under what Wikipedia articles are not:
* Instructions. Wikipedia seeks to be informative, not instructional.
Therefore, things like how-tos, recipes, and other types of information
that provide instruction on something are not appropriate on Wikipedia.
They are appropriate, however, on Wikibooks, and articles that contain
only instructional material should be moved to the appropriate area on
Wikibooks. It is possible that information about instructions are
appropriate on Wikipedia, but it should be presented in the indicative
mood, and not the imperative mood that so distinctively marks
instructional material.

  I know the wording is a little weak, but it's my first attempt.

Since the WikiEN-l is for discussing policy, I thought I'd bring it up here.

- David