[WikiEN-l] Going to Court

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 23 17:35:51 UTC 2004

Fred wrote:
>A bad habit of free people. We have no intention of acting in
>arbitrary ways or of not responding to reasonable demands.
>Nor of establishing a legal right to do so. Our terms of use
>creates rights in the user. We could set forth the proposition
>that no user has any rights whatever but have not chosen to
>do so.

What are you talking about Fred? Wiki[p/m]edia is NOT a government so we can't
grant or deny ANY right whatsoever. All we can do is extend or revoke
privileges. We are blessed in respect to the fact that Jimbo and the Wikimedia
Foundation has given us generous privilege grants and allows the community to
pretty much run itself.

All those are good things and should be preserved, but they are not rights.

Perhaps we are speaking past each other (each using a different definition of
'rights')?

-- mav