[WikiEN-l] outside evidence and arbitration

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Feb 9 17:43:06 UTC 2004

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>Delirium raises the "track record" question rather eloquently.
>
>My own view is:
>
>* Trouble caused elsewhere should ALERT US that it might spread here.
>* Generally, users should get a clean slate (see AssumeGoodFaith).
>
>So I'd say the committees should avoid bringing up "outside activities"
>and using them against Wikipedians. No matter how they act elsewhere, as
>long as they behave themselves here.

I support this view.  In many courts the record of previous convictions
is not admissible as evidence for establishing current guilt.

If the general population on these other sites are at all like
Wikipedians they're probably very argumentative.  Thus, to deal with
that kind of evidence fairly our arbitrators would need to review the
entire argument that took place on the other site.  Are the arbitrators
willing to wade through this stuff, and are we willing to put them
through such an ordeal?

Ec