[WikiEN-l] RE: The Invisible Pink Unicorn Logo on Wikipedia

Tim Ahrentløv ta at ateist.org
Mon Dec 27 13:36:48 UTC 2004

Hi Ævar,

Thank you for the elaboration.

I still don’t see the problem. The logo is not "unfree". It is very much
free, and even more so than permitted by a traditional GNU license - as I
recall it.

I do find it ironic that companies like Microsoft that has a long tradition
of fighting free licenses with their more commercial and restrictive
approach, are allowed to have their logo on Wikipedia, just because they
belong to some other commercial or "ill-replaced" category.

As for the phrase "Now, since your image is not the Microsoft logo or some
ill-replaceable image like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:TrangBang.jpg
it will get deleted [..]", you might as well be telling me that the
Microsoft logos is allowed because they are Microsoft logos and the IPU is
not. It comes very close to telling me that the IPU logo, with the identity
invested in it, pr. definition simply is not allowed.

The way I interpret all this, is that I now have 2 options:

1. Define the IPU logo as a product, so that it would be strictly commercial
and thus belong to a different set of rules.

2. Alter the logo license to allow it to be used for whatever purpose, and
thus totally obliterate the identity for which it was specifically designed.

Neither of the above is fair to the general idea of the IPU logo, and both
would be very unfair (if not legally impossible by now) because there are
people out there that has adopted the logo on the current license - and for
what it represents. So I *cannot* alter the license by now, and based on the
explanation that I've been given so far, this is luckily not something that
I have any reason to regret.

Because...

We are talking about a free encyclopedia service that actively wants to
alter the identity of the very object it sets out to document. It even wants
to purge itself from facts of reality that does not conform to some dogma of
how the reality "should" be like. (It gives me associations to when Libya
removed certain countries from the World Map *LOL*) These matters can hardly
be to be a desirable attributes of a media type from whom, one should be
able to expect objectivity.

As far as I understand you, this is not your doing ;-) You're merely
relaying some facts to me and I'm glad that you brought this matter to my
attention. Thanks.

I will cc this mail correspondence to the mailing list mail address you
provided to me, hoping that this matter can be settled in a prudent and
rational way. Should this process, in contrary to my expectations, result in
the logo being removed, I will also upload our mail correspondence on
www.invisiblepinkunicorn.com, urging the visitors to complain about this
unfair and irrational ruling - and in the process I fear - undermining
Wikipedia's credibility.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards,
Tim Ahrentløv