[WikiEN-l] Arbitration Committee term lengths

Shane King shakes at dontletsstart.com
Wed Dec 22 00:38:46 UTC 2004

Charles Fulton wrote:
> I don't know that we really want or need that many arbitrators in the
> system. If these elections seemed ugly, imagine what a perpetual
> Requests for Arbitratorship would be like.  Also, I think Arbcom
> should develop an institutional memory so that its rulings are
> consistent, and that would be hard to do with a fluid membership.

Well the beauty is if enough people don't think we need that many
arbitrators, then people can vote oppose to people who put their name
forward unless they are very much exceptional candidates.

Think of it as being closer to Requests for bereaucratship rather than
adminship in that respect.

As far as consistency goes, I think it's more important that it's
effective. If having lots of available arbitrators means decisions can
be turned around faster, I'm all for it. If that comes at a cost to
consistency, then I think that's a fair price to pay. The people who
punishments are currently being delt to are more than fully deserving of
a good kick in the bum. I don't mind whether the size of kick varies a
bit from case to case, so long as the kick happens before they cause
even more damage.

Shane.