[WikiEN-l] Arbitration committee term lengths

steven l. rubenstein rubenste at ohiou.edu
Tue Dec 21 16:05:47 UTC 2004

I agree with Blankfaze and Danny that three year terms are too long.  Isn't
it one of the points of computers that they speed things up?  Three years
in the wikiworld is a very, very, long time.  Shorter term limits are a
matter not only of  preventing the establishment of a cabal (or the
appearance of one); it will help prevent burn-out and of course encourage
greater participation on the part of others.

I understand Angela's concern about experience, but I think that requiring
candidates for AC to have been around for a certain amount of time, or
having done a certain number of edits, will guarantee a minimum amount of
experience at Wikipedia, and staggered terms will help ensure a continuity
of experience on the committee.

Steve

Steven L. Rubenstein
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Bentley Annex
Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701