[WikiEN-l] Rambot the User_talk: Spambot

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 11:32:37 UTC 2004

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Whether we like it or not, the current license IS
>> gfdl. And changing license under which
>> we offer information should be a global decision,
>> not the decision of one person only.

>On the contrary. Each person's edits belong to them,
>not Wikipedia, so the decision of how to license them
>(in addition to the gfdl license applied on
>submission) is solely theirs.

>Mark

This is true Mark. People can just put their content in dual licensing just as they wish to do. And I absolutely do not imply it is wrong to place it under dual license at all. However, CURRENTLY the FINAL result IS gfdl.
When I read this comment in RamMan proposition :

"Ultimately, if we reach the point where over 95% of copyrightable edits are dual licensed, then there will be the concern of an incompatible Wikipedia forking or the consideration of changing Wikipedia's license, but that is all academic at this point."

I do not read it as so academic.
This discussion is occurring in a user subpage. And only on the english wikipedia.
If we change the license of our articles one day, I wish that this is global decision, not a case by case article decision. And I wish that we do not find ourselves with the english content being in license A, the german content in license B and the japanese content in license C.

Of course, it is very much a private opinion, but I think that just as we use a common software, just as we have a common goal and just as we share a bunch of rules such as the NPOV, it would be nice that we also put our final content under the same license or groups of licences as well.

Consequently, any change in the global licensing scheme should not be made/decided on a user subpage on one of our project. EVEN if this is the larger project and EVEN if RamBot was one of the more active contributor ;-)

-------

As for spamming people, each time I want to have a chance to reach for more people, I go to each project in turn, for each language one after then other, I create manually an account on each of them (or I log in for each of them in turn), then I put my message manually in each of them in turn.

It is a HUGE loss of time. It is quite depressing to have to do such things by hand. I cant criticism him for using his bot to do such a boring thing, but it is unfair that some have those tools while others do not. So, if we use spamming tools, these should be widely accessible.

I do not have time to edit the english wikipedia any more. The last three messages I got over there are spam. RamMan spam and spam for images tagging. Should this proceed in such directions (all personal messages on my talk page being spam messages), I will not go to see my talk page any more. It will be as useless as some of my yahoo boxes. TALK pages are about TALKING. If you want to spam people, create a SPAM box :-)