[WikiEN-l] Largest encyclopedia

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 12 06:10:45 UTC 2004

Jay JG wrote

> >"Charles Matthews" wrote

> >And I think clicking Random Page 100 times supports the  impression that
> >things improve.  One example is that the category system has come on
well,
> >over the past three months.
>
> Well, some might consider that "thin anectodal evidence". ;-)

Not really.  It's a repeatable experiment, and can produce confidence in its
results as it is repeated.  For example noting the number of uncategorised
pages in 100 random ones gives an estimator of the proportion in the whole.
Do it a few times, and the estimated proportion should settle down to the
real figure.  That does assume that Random Page is uniform over all main
space pages (which might be wrong).

Charles