[WikiEN-l] New policy proposal

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 11 22:32:05 UTC 2004

WikiUser wrote

> Can you give any examples of what you mean by "egregious trolls and pov
pushers"? Also of the "boundless good will."? Also, who is meant by "we" and
"our"? -WikiUser.

Of course Jimbo can; and of course he isn't going to make pointed personal
remarks.  And if he can't speak of 'we', the community of Wiki-en or
Wikipedia as a whole or Wikimedia as a whole (take your pick), I wonder who
can.

For the record, I think POV pushing is the single problem in relation to WP
to which we don't have a working solution, as of end 2004.  So I'm entirely
behind Jimbo's analysis of the challenge.  We have the eyeballs to
fact-check with, in many areas; we have the eyeballs to see what is too
vague to be checkable, as a practical matter if not as a legalistic
definition.  What we don't have, in practice, and what I feel the lack of,
is the way of defining a 'pattern of POV editing' that would warrant warning
and then sanctions.  This ought to be seen as the current defining issue.
Anyway, this all points back to the ArbCom elections as the real focus of
Wiki-en's public life; which is only right and proper.

Charles