NPOV and credibility (was Re: [WikiEN-l] Original research)

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 9 03:21:34 UTC 2004

>>Sometimes we exclude views, but more commonly we move them to where
>>they belong -- in an article about theories that are not widely
>>accepted.
>
>Which is still biasing towards "credibility", and hence not compatible with
>the NPOV as written. I quote: "The neutral point of view policy states that
>one should write articles without bias, representing ALL views fairly" (my
>emphasis on the ALL). I fail to see how shunting some views to seperate
>articles and not others counts as "fair".

Wikipedia couldn't possibly represent ALL views, nor should it.  There are 6
billion people in the world, each with their own view on a limitless array
of topics.  Even if we limit ourselves to the much smaller (though still
overwhelming)  number of views that are, say, published on websites, NPOV
does not demand that we say "according to Einstein e=mc^2, but according to
my Aunt Gertie [www.relativityaccordingtogertie.com], e=mc^3"