[WikiEN-l] New notice for common sense Wikipedians.

Phil Sandifer sandifer at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 6 19:49:01 UTC 2004

I have to say, I'm sorry to see this template's existence. The failure
of various free licenses to "talk" to one another is rapidly becoming
one of the biggest barriers to the creation of free content, and with
the rapid ascent of Creative Commons, frankly, Wikipedia is looking a
little crusty in its model. It's very hard to utilize bits of Wikipedia
in creative works, because the GFDL kinda sucks for that. I'd have a
tough time applying the GFDL to a visual work. (How would I link back?)

Until a better solution comes along (I'm hoping very much that the new
version of the GFDL that they're working on will have some provision
about other free licenses) multi-licensing seems to me a necessary
evil. In particular, the no sign over the CC image feels in poor taste
to me.

-Snowspinner