[WikiEN-l] original research

steven l. rubenstein rubenste at ohiou.edu
Sat Dec 4 20:33:40 UTC 2004

The question is how to define original research.  I disagree with Zoney
that an article that is original to Wikipedia is "original research."  It
is an original encyclopedia article, and was certainly based on research,
but that research -- for an encyclopedia article -- is not what we call
"original" research.  I agree with Mark that we need to be very careful
about this.  I think Fred's distinction, "To put together an article using
references from published material is not original research. Advancing
ideas that you can find no published source for is." is  very  important
and if it is not clearly stated in the policy, then it should be.  That is,
an article that draws on previously published material but that advances
ideas that have not previously been published should, for our purposes, be
considered "original research."  Stan raises a very interesting point that
bears further discussion, perhaps on the policy's talk page.

Steve

Steven L. Rubenstein
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Bentley Annex
Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701