[WikiEN-l] original research

steven l. rubenstein rubenste at ohiou.edu
Fri Dec 3 18:12:32 UTC 2004

I think the policy "no original research" is one of our most important
policies, and essential to the integrity of our project as an
encyclopedia.  Recently Jimbo pointed out that the policy was originally
developed to deal with physics cranks, but that it could apply to history
as well -- but perhaps, with some difficulty.  I agree that the policy
should apply to all forms of research.  I've been thinking about the way
the policy is formulated and think it can be improved.  I have mad ea
suggestion on the talk page, and I'd appreciate comments:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:No_original_research#On_secondary_sources

I am very confident of the substantive point I am trying to make, but less
confident about the wording.  Whether I am right or wrong, this issue
requires some debate now because a number of people have expressed
confusion about our policy,

Steve

Steven L. Rubenstein
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Bentley Annex
Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701