[WikiEN-l] Original research

apw at ap-woolrich.co.uk apw at ap-woolrich.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 08:20:47 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,
I have been following the this thread with interest, but am confused
as to to what the term 'original research' means. As a writer of
history I take it to mean searching the literature and archives and
writing a new, properly referenced, article about topic which may
well not have appeared in any other place than Wikipedia. Certainly
there is a great deal in my field which is not to be found anywhere
on the Web, and Wikipedia is an excellent means of getting it there.

Others seem to define 'original research' as a new scientific theory
which has not been published elsewhere.

If we are going to have a blanket ban on 'original research' we ought
to be more precise as to what it actually means, perhaps re-wording
the phrase. Any ideas?

Tony Woolrich (User: Apwoolrich)
Canal Side, Huntworth, Bridgwater, Somerset UK
Phone (44) 01278 663020
Email apw at ap-woolrich.co.uk