[WikiEN-l] What constitutes a copyvio?

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Sep 11 20:02:27 UTC 2003

Alex R. wrote:
> As far as history pages are concerned my current thinking on
> copyright infringements appearing on these pages is to invoke
> sec. 108 of the Copyright Act. Thus while a current page version is
> released under the GFDL, prior versions of an article should have
> the famous 108 notice so that if some one has downloaded copyright
> infringing material at least Wikimedia will not be responsible as it
> is acting as a non-commercial archive (this cannot apply to the
> current version of any page as it would be in violation of the
> GFDL).

Can you explain more about the "famous 108 notice"?

I read this article, but found it only partially helpful:
http://www.arl.org/info/frn/copy/notice.html

And this:
http://www.mlc.lib.mi.us/services/copyill.php

And finally, a marked-up copy of the law itself:
http://www.groton.k12.ct.us/mts/eg13a.htm

--Jimbo