[WikiEN-l] Adam [name omitted for privacy reasons]

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Sep 11 16:53:33 UTC 2003

Adam [name omitted for privacy reasons] and I have been having a long discussion, and he would
like for me to reinstate him.  He is of the belief that I am the only
one who would be against this, although he does allow as there may be
some complaints from those who have been most strongly against him in
the past.

However, at this point in time, I have no objections to his return,
and would like to reinstate him under the name 'Adam [name omitted for privacy reasons]'.

The interpersonal courtesies that would be expected of him at that
point would be the same as expected of anyone.  That is to say, he
would not be on any sort of extra-special probation, although of
course he should be aware that some people will be wary of him at
first.

The important thing, to me, is that Adam has approached this with me
in the right way this time.  We've talked it over, we've talked about
various alternatives, and I feel comfortable with his sincerity.  He's
gone so far as to give me an example of an edit he would like to make,
and the reasons for it, and it all sounded fine to me.

The point of this letter is to ask people with strong objections and
concerns to send them to me, and privately at first please, because
this type of interpersonal matter is seldom made better by public
argument.  However, and in the interests of sunshine, if anyone has
any complaints that they feel should be made public, go ahead with
that if you must.  I just think it'd be better if we cleared things
up quietly and with dignity.

I know this may be a controversial decision, and I want to make it
carefully and with ample opportunity for people to express their
views.

--Jimbo

P.S. for those concerned about the 'Pizza Puzzle' connection, please
note that whether or not this user is in fact Adam (and he has told me
directly that it is not him), PP has not edited anything in nearly a
month and a half.  So that's a problem in the past, I think.