[WikiEN-l] [Wikitech-l] Update to gfdl copyright notice needed

Alex R. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Sun Sep 7 08:49:45 UTC 2003

From: "Ray Saintonge" <saintonge at telus.net>

> Whatever!!
>
> I'm sure that it will receive the same dilligent attention and
> understanding that we all apply when a software package asks us to
> "Click here if you understand and agree to our licensing terms" :-P
>
> Ec

If you want to see an annotated version of the proposed click text
I've tried to explain it a bit here:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alex756/Annotated_edit_page_announcement
There are a few minor changes from the one posted on the lists.
In terms of making it a little shorter the indemnification stuff could
be put on the terms and conditions page; I'd rather some mention
of indemnification be on the edit page so someone can't say, "I didn't
read the terms and conditions. I don't know what they say." From
reading the archives there is a general (and understandable aversion)
to legal boilerplate, but some changes do appear necessary to get
people to think more about copyright, defamation and potential legal
responsibility.

Can we wait a few days (or a week) to see if there are any objections
or further suggestions? I've located a few other lawyers on Wikipedia
and am going to ask them to take a look at it and see if they have
any suggestions.

Alex756