[WikiEN-l] Following up -

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Oct 30 23:13:03 UTC 2003

At some point, I'm sure, Jimbo is going to insist
that we take this to [[talk:abortion]] -- but, to
answer Christopher's question,

"Why should the state have this much say in what
goes on inside someone's body? Where do we draw
the line?"

If it were legally established that inside *your*
body was another living, breathing human being with
"personhood" and a "right to life", then you would
have a degree of responsibility to avoid killing
it. On the other hand, you could not be forced
endure a process with an unacceptably high risk
of killing *you* either.

It all hinges on whether a fetus is a "human being".
Luckily for me, I have no axe to grind on this
point. So I consider myself the ideal editor for
a writing project aiming at creating a series of
neutral (NPOV) articles on the topic.

In fact, the only obstacle I can see is that I might
(as the Cunctator suggests) have too high an opinion
of my own "neutrality". But since more people come
running to me for mediation than to any other
contributor, I guess I'll have to do it :-)

Modestly,

Ed Poor