[WikiEN-l] Following up -

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Oct 30 23:04:49 UTC 2003

Tarquin wisely analyzed Ed's trenchant observation:

->Ah, but "a woman's right to choose" makes a much
->more effective slogan than "the right of a mother
->to kill her own baby".

>it's not a "baby" until it is born.

Of course. That's why advocates of the [[partial-birth abortion]] law,
like Michael Fumento, are so outraged. They say that pulling out the
fetus, feet first, then sucking out its brains to collapse the skull, is
tantamount to murder. They reason that if the doctor pulled the head
out, the fetus would be "born" and thus a "baby" with "personhood" and
human rights.

Don't get me wrong: I have no position whatsoever on the subject; I am
just reporting the reasoning of others.

We need to *understand* the reasoning of others with whom we disagree.
In fact, when I write Wikipedia articles on controversial subjects, I
usually try to explain the POV of the side I *disagree* with first. I
get a much more easily balance article that way.

Neutrally,

Ed Poor