[WikiEN-l] Elizabeth Smart

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 19:58:28 UTC 2003

Tarquin wrote:
>Children are abducted all over the world.

Very true. That's why an article on [[children
abduction]] is a very valid topic.

>Just because the US media gave it so much coverage
>does not make it worthy of inclusion in an
>encyclopedia which should be taking the long-term
>view.

Eh? Tens of millions of people were captivated by the
story. /That/ story is thus something we should have
in Wikipedia. Should we also not have articles on
popular movies and books? In the long run what is
popular today and in the media will be obscure in
decades hence. Wikipedia is not paper so let's distill
knowledge about these things. If anything it would be
a way to gauge what was important in days past.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)