[WikiEN-l] Elizabeth Smart

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Oct 29 19:00:30 UTC 2003

Rick wrote:

> There's a war going on as to what to call the Elizabeth Smart
> article.  It can't be just [[Elizabeth Smart]], because that's a
> disambiguation page.  It can't be [[Elizabeth Anne Smart]] because she
> isn't known by her middle name.  It was at [[Elizabeth Smart (kidnap
> victim)]] yesterday, but is now at [[Elizabeth Smart (2000s media
> sensation)]] , which, IMHO, is not only offensive to her, but a
> ridiculous name.

Using the middle name "Ann"  (rather than "Anne"?) is the sensible
solution. (Assuming, of course, that it is her correct middle name.)  To
say that it can't be used because of a rule that prevents it when she
isn't known by her middle name seems like policy running-amok over
common sense  A middle name is a "natural" disambiguator, though I
haven't been easily able to track down the author's middle name.

I doubt that Elizabeth Ann became a kidnap victim or media sensation out
of any premeditated act of her own to get her 15 minutes of fame.  Any
identification of her on that basis is demeaning and sensationalistic,
notwithstanding the fact that it is so far her only claim to fame.  It
is unlikely that anything in the near future will change that, though it
is certainly possible that she may yet become newsworthy in her own
right as she grows up.

The author, by virtue of her accomplishment, is certainly the more
important of the two Elizabeth Smarts.  Her impression will be a lot
more long-lasting than a kid who. to the delight of the paparazzi, had
the misfortune to be kidnapped.

I believe that the article should move back forthwith to [[Elizabeth Ann
Smart]].  Unfortunately, the move function did not work for it, but if
it stays where it is I will have no compunctins about using the more
tedious cut-and-paste process.

Ec