[WikiEN-l] place names

Matt M. matt_mcl at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 29 17:48:49 UTC 2003

> Exactly. I'm surprised this is even an issue. It would beyond silly to
only
> refer to Leningrad as Saint Petersburg in a separate article dealing with
the
> history of the Soviet Union. Likewise it would be very odd to refer to the
> United Kingdom in an article about the Norman Invasion. Gaul/France along
> with Constantinople/Istanbul are other examples (as would be
> Londinium/London, for that matter - Peking/Beijing is a different matter
> dealing with a change in the accepted English transliteration).

Another datum: [[Newfoundland]] refers to the island, and [[Newfoundland and
Labrador]] the province; when I set this up, I went through all the articles
that mentioned Newfoundland, and those that were historic references to the
colony, dominion, or province (under the then-correct name "Newfoundland"),
I changed it to [[Newfoundland and Labrador|Newfoundland]]. That seemed
fairly reasonable.

Matt