[WikiEN-l] DC&X

Matt M. matt_mcl at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 28 16:09:29 UTC 2003

> I also note the use of "birth canal" to describe the vagina as if a woman
> had an exit chute on her baby factory;

I think "birth canal" is a reasonable and common usage designating the
entire passage (cervix, vagina, vulva) through which the baby passes during
birth. I'm not sure of the context of the article, but it is probably not
appropriate at other times (we don't usually speak of menstrual blood or
contraceptive devices passing through the birth canal).

> and the use of "womb" in place of 'uterus'.

I think "womb" is a common usage, and a word I happen to like, and I don't
see how this vitiates the NPOV of the article any more than it would to use
"afterbirth" instead of "placenta;" but I agree that "uterus" is synonymous,
and I won't defend "womb" to the death - just long enough to say that our
articles are directed at a general audience, and I don't see how the word
"womb" is any more unscientific than "heart" or "eye."

However, I fully support you in changing factual errors that exist in the
article, about whose topic I am essentially uninformed. The article's "talk"
section will reach the widest audience for discussing the changes you make,
should you feel the need to do so in more detail than you can in the
"reasons for edit" box.

Welcome to the Pedia.
Matt (Montrealais)