[WikiEN-l] Deletion policy needed (lists)

Stevertigo utilitymuffinresearch2 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 25 12:48:08 UTC 2003

--- Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> I don't think we really have a big difference here.
> All that would be
> left to delete after a month is a redirecting
> article with a long title
> that is too long to be something that would be used
> in a search.  I know
> the argument that redirect articles take up minimal
> space in the DB.  I
> clashed with Mav on that when I was suggesting in my
> newbie days that
> some old Camel Case titles should be deleted.

Mav's only human -- and back in those days, old CC
titles were still fresh -- just because WP upgraded,
dont mean that you get rid of all those nice
searchwords.  This is why all the list business got
brought up again -- a year ago Jimbo found that Google
just fell in love with "list of" pages and said so on
the list  (mail) --it instantly became policy that
something like a [[list of theoretical opinions on the
exact contents of Britney Spears underpants]] was
going to get WP *hits!, and therefore --people "saw
that it was good."

Now of course we deal with the fact that all of these
[[lists of famous last meal toasts and/or last
beverages]] are actually noticeable and "hurt the
integrity of Wikipedia" far more than the stubs do --
stubs are nice to newbies (no politics), and are at
least excusable, which is more than can be said for
the [[list of how famous people like their coffee,
cream and sugar]].

~S~
"Reaching for an oversized chrome spoon he gathers an
intimate quantity of dried muffin remnants ..."