[WikiEN-l] Re: Deletion policy needed

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Sat Oct 25 02:54:35 UTC 2003

Stevertigo wrote:

>Try "Cleaning up" articles instead of automatically
>"Delete" ing them.

In general I'm fairly convinced.  I previously hadn't been familiar with
Cleanup (it was a little bit baffling the one time I stumbled across
it).  In the future if I come across a text dump of a treaty or
something similar, I'll either replace with a stub, or if I don't have
the time or inclination list on Cleanup so it doesn't get overlooked.

The main remaining problem for VfD then is things that don't belong in
Wikipedia at all.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's a
non-antagonistic way to resolve that, since the very idea of what
belongs in Wikipedia is a contentious issue, with a wide range of
opinions on just how inclusive we should be.  To pick just one example
currently on there, some people find [[List of localities in Britain
where rare ant species had previously been recorded but are no longer
considered to be present]] to be a useful encyclopedia article, while
others consider the very existence of an article with such a title as
bordering on the ludicrous.  It's not really an issue of cleaning up,
because the people who object to its inclusion are objecting to its very
existence, not to its current state.

Oddly I think [[List of...]] discussions are probably a good 80% of the
contentious issues on VfD these days, so *something* needs to be done
about that.  What, I'm not sure.  The other 20% seem to be mostly "is
this famous or just self-aggrandizing" (cf. [[Daniel C. Boyer]], random
webcomics, etc.), but I think we can manage to handle those if we got
rid of all the List discussions.

-Mark