[WikiEN-l] potential VfD abuse?

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Thu Oct 23 23:24:59 UTC 2003

Dante Alighieri wrote:

>Just a heads-up. A user "Wartortle" (a Pokemon reference, apparently) has
>been voting "keep" /en masse/ on the VfD page with no explanations for
>awhile now. He has been questioned (politely) numerous times as to his
>intentions via his talk page.... there has been no response. I think the
>time may come for Jimbo to give him a talking too... or else we all could
>decide together if this is vandalism of a sort.

It's now vandalism to vote on Votes for Deletion???
He should respond to comments on his user talk page,
but since he's relatively new, are we sure that he's noticed them?
Even then, it's not vandalism of /any/ sort to ignore comments;
that falls under the "problematic user" business.
(If you believe that he's really an old troll, then that's different,
especially if he's voting dishonestly.  But you didn't mention that.)

If you want to delete things on consensus,
and you note that Wartortle has written nothing but Pokémon articles,
and has actually edits VfD more often that any of those,
and that therefore his objections to any consensus among others
are irrelevant to you, and you ignore him, then that's fine with me.
But if you say that VfD requires only a supermajority of 75%,
then you're going to see a hell of a lot more of this later on.
I agree that people ought to give reasons on VfD, but if y'all make it
nothing a simple numerical vote, then that's all that it'll become.

-- Toby