[WikiEN-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Saints

James Duffy jtdire at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 23 22:43:07 UTC 2003

Mark wrote:

>I disagree strongly, and your attempt to leverage credentials is both a
>logical fallacy (look up "appeal to authority", or the equivalent Latin
>phrase if you prefer) and grossly un-wiki.
>
>The issue is that Wikipedia is endorsing certain titles, and not endorsing
>others, which is inconsistent and POV.  When we use Sir, Blessed, and so
>on, and refuse to use His All-Holiness, His Excellency, and The Honorable,
>this is a POV judgment, and unacceptable in a professional encyclopedia.
>
>If you do wish to use some honorifics, I would like to see some conventions
>adopted indicating which we should use, and which we should not.  Why
>should the article on [[Mother Theresa]] start off "Blessed Mother
>Theresa", while the article on [[Clarence Thomas]] does not start off "The
>Honorable Clarence Thomas"?  Is there a principle behind this decision?

:-) If you are going to discuss titles, honorifics, styles, etc, do try to
know what they are!

Sir is not the same as All-Holiness. One is a manner of address, one is when
inherited or awarded as part of one's name. 'Blessed' is not the same as
'The Honourable'. They are two fundamentally different things.  'The
Honourable' is not part of a name, but a mode of address, the diplomats and
most presidents are 'His/Her Excellency', monarchs are 'His/Her Majesty',
popes/Dalai lamas are 'His Holiness. 'Blessed' becomes in effect part of the
name of a beatified person and over time the standard reference when
referring to them. They really are fundamentally different concepts, which
is why wikipedia has clear agreed rules for how one uses styles, titles,
courtesy titles, honours, etc. They are fundamentally different things, a
fact your comments here and elsewhere suggests you have completely failed to
grasp.

To give a practical example, courtesy titles are often so identified with a
holder that they are almost impossible to recognise without them. So anyone
who has ever studied British or Irish history knows immediately that ''Lord
John Russell'' is the British Prime Minister in the 1840s. Nobody would have
a clue who the article was about if it was referred to as ''John Russell'',
because no-one but his mother ever called him that. But Bob Geldof, Ronald
Reagan and Ted Health, who were awarded knighthoods, are recognisable
without using 'Sir'. So there is no question of including the 'sir' in the
article name. This was all discussed in intense detail and a structure for
when to use what, and when not to use what, agreed and followed by wikipedia
ever since.

JT