[WikiEN-l] Re: Deletion policy needed

Alex Rosen arosen at novell.com
Wed Oct 22 20:28:27 UTC 2003

>Wheteher someone is "notable" is more often than not a determination
>based on somebody's POV.

Well it's frequently based on someone's opinion, which to me is
different than POV. I'd say that *sometimes* it's based on somebody's
POV, but then so are lots of other things on Wikipedia - e.g. whether a
particular article is POV or not is sometimes based on somebody's POV.
We live with that.

So if something doesn't have to notable to be in Wikipedia, then would
an article on every single elementary school in the world be OK? How
about every single person in the world? If so, then how will we ever get
*done*?

>>Official or not, many people seem to use an 'important' standard when
it
>>comes to biographical articles.  'Wiki Is Not a Biographical
Dictionary'
>>(wherever that is) describes teh policy a lot seem to follow.
>>
>The rule is that Wikipedia is not a dictionary, biographical or
>otherwise.  That is no bar to biographical articles which are an
>important part of the 'pedia.

The actual page he's referring to is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Criteria_for_Inclusion_of_Biographies,
it has nothing do with dictionaries.