[WikiEN-l] Resolution of conflicts

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Wed Oct 22 15:02:45 UTC 2003

> From Poor, Edmund W

> I do not consider _suggesting_ that Jimbo order a username block to be
> "threat" (as one user put it) or an "abuse of sysop powers" as a
couple
> of others put it.

Why don't you consider it a threat?
A threat is "an expression of an intention to inflict pain, injury,
evil, or punishment." Suggesting that Jimbo order a username block is an
expression of an intention to inflict punishment. It's not as extreme a
threat as "I WILL BAN YOU" but it's a threat nonetheless.

> Saying, "stop reverting my changes, or I will
> personally ban you" MIGHT be a threat or an abuse of authority, but
that
> isn't what Erik did. (He might have said he wanted to - as I did a
week
> or 2 ago in a similar context - but "wanting" and "threatening" and
> "doing" are all different.)

Erik explicitly disambiguated this question, stating that he was serious
about issuing a banning request.

His apology put things on the right track, but let's not try to rewrite
history here.