[WikiEN-l] ALERT: Idea for new feature: "Who's watching this page?"

Graham Burnett grahamburnett at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 08:41:00 UTC 2003

> >  so this should be "opt-in" only, not
> > the default, if implemented.

Well an 'opt in' public watchlist is something I could live with. But the
default should definately be private. I liked the suggestion of  a seperate
'watchlist' (called something else) which could list articles one is
currently looking for collaborators on.

But as I stated on Village Pump, I have a couple of pages on my Watchlist
that I keep an eye on for my own reasons. Bearing in mind that ANYBODY could
join Wikipedia and then have a look at what I maintain an interest in, and
that from my user page it's fairly easy to work out where I live, this is
not something I would be happy with. It's not a case of 'if your not doing
anything wrong then you shouldn't have anything to hide' but common sense.
It's also a matter of principle.

graham (Quercus robur)

---