[WikiEN-l] ALERT: Idea for new feature: "Who's watching thispage?"

Andrew Lih alih at hku.hk
Tue Oct 21 04:01:11 UTC 2003

> Actually, it's a good idea. In no way is it a invasion of
> privacy. Anyone who wants to get some idea of a contributor's
> interests can look at his edit record. There's no good reason
> not to have watchlists be public.

Edit history does not equal watch list.  I can watch something without
having edited it.  And other people being able to see my watch list is
an invasion of privacy of sorts, so this should be "opt-in" only, not
the default, if implemented.

Wikipedia is trying to get more people to join, so it would be a tragedy
if this privacy issue kept folks away.

-Fuzheado