[WikiEN-l] Re: ALERT: Idea for new feature: "Who's watching this page?"

Brian Corr BCorr at NEAction.org
Tue Oct 21 03:31:58 UTC 2003

This is absolutely a terrible idea. It's perfectly sufficient that we can
look at who has edited a page and what they have done. The only reason I
can see to know who's watching a page is to be better able to track what
someone may decide to edit.

Between [[Problem users]] and [[Vandalism]] and the aforementioned page
histories, that seems to provide more than enough resources for tracking
things. I imagine that developers can look at someone's Watchlist, and
that's fine, but I don't want folks with an axe to grind to be able to
"watch my watching." And the idea of having the default be that people
can't see one's watchlist is better, but I think the whole idea still
undermines Wikifaith and adds an unwelcome level of surveillance.

And one more thing, I noticed this a couple of hours ago on Village Pump
page because the person who suggested it, User:Paul_Klenk, had just been
adding fuel to the flame on the Mother Teresa talk page
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Mother_Teresa#Something_we_can_all_agree_on>,
although he has also added some constructive comments. He's new, so this
isn't meant to trash him, but this is a perfect example of where it would
*not* be helpful to have the ability to see other people's watchlists.

Thanks, Brian