[WikiEN-l] Deletion policy needed

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Oct 17 17:07:05 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Erik Moeller wrote:
>
>>I would like to ask Jimbo to make a formal declaration of policy so
>>that sysops won't be accused of overstepping their bounds when
>>deleting pages.
>>
>Yes, that sounds like a good idea.  I will follow this discussion
>closely and try to see what people are saying, and propose a solution
>that addresses everyone's needs and concerns to the greatest degree
>possible.  And then we can see if we can get consensus on that, the
>old-fashioned way.

What bothers me about this is not the decision that Jimbo would make,
but the request that he make such a declaration.  It strikes me as an
admission of failure on the part of those making the request.  People
need to be willing to apply WikiLove and WikiFaith in dealing with these
problems rather than turning them into some kind of competitive battle
with Crusader and Saracen alike looking for a sign that God will be on
his side.

Ec