[WikiEN-l] AstroWikipedia

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.yu
Thu Oct 16 06:04:08 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 21:47, Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> >NAI ;) But, could WIkipedia be trademark at all as it is generic term?
> > Noone can trademark "Cherry Jam" as a name for cherry jam, could anyone
> > trademark "Wikipedia" as a name for a Wiki encyclopedia?
>
> The claim that "Wikipedia" is a generic term presupposes that others
> have used it before. Please name some.

It doesn't, it only presupposes that it is obvious term for a certain kind of
product. Probably noone used the term "cucumber jam" for a jam made of
cucumbers, because such a jam does not exist, but if it would be made it
could not be sold under name "Cucumber Jam" or "Cucumberjam" or "Jam of
Cucumbers" etc.

I, of course, agree with Jimbo that if coca-cola is not generic, so isn't
Wikipedia...