[WikiEN-l] Deletion policy needed

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Thu Oct 16 05:34:44 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:

>Toby Bartels wrote:

>>I suspect that option 1 would exacerbate the ballot stuffing problem.
>>If ballot stuffers advertising on Usenet (which is awful!)
>>know exactly what goal they need to reach, then they'll be more motivated.

>Maybe. But ballot stuffing isn't our only problem and there are reasonable
>ways to detect it.

If you mean 2)a) -- length of contribution history -- then I agree.
So if the problem with ballot stuffing nevertheless exists,
then that suggests that some admins are reluctant to apply 2)a).
Which brings us to ...

>Sysops not having clear directions what to do is the
>other problem. [...] It is absolutely important
>that everyone can follow the same standard, and I think the most
>reasonable course of action is for Jimbo to set such a standard.

So I would advise Jimbo to start by setting the standard to apply 2)a).

This doesn't mean that no other standards can necessarily apply.
That simply seems like an obvious place to start --
as I said, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

-- Toby